BAM 515 – Organizational Behavior
(Enter your answers on the enclosed answer sheet)
1) The members of a ________ work together intensively via electronic means, and may never actually meet.
- A) cyber group
- B) digital team
- C) virtual team
- D) electronic group
2) The risks associated with planning can be reduced by an understanding of all of the following except
- A) decision making.
- B) team composition.
- C) political science.
- D) individual biases.
3) The way managers lead is changing because millions of employees work in
- A) downsized organizations.
- B) self-managed teams.
- C) expanding positions.
- D) outsourced functions.
4) Which of the following is not one of the three principal kinds of skills needed by managers?
- A) Human
- B) Analytical
- C) Technical
- D) Conceptual
5) An ________ is a rule or routine an employee follows to perform some task in the most effective way.
- A) organizational pattern
- B) organizational procedure
- C) organizational routine
- D) organizational schematic
Unit 1 Examination 51 BAM 515 – Organizational Behavior
6) An organization’s workforce consists of workers of different ages, religions, and socioeconomic backgrounds, all of which contribute to its
- A) social responsibility.
- B) ethics.
- C) affirmative action.
- D) diversity.
7) The ________ involves responding to the diverse needs of employees and developing employment approaches that promote the well-being of employees.
- A) flexibility challenge
- B) decision-making challenge
- C) fairness and justice challenge
- D) performance challenge
8) Organizational behavior is relevant to crisis management because it provides ________ needed to respond to a crisis.
- A) guidelines, procedures, and boundaries
- B) definitions and contextual perspectives
- C) lessons about how to manage and organize the resources
- D) an overview of sound management principles
9) ________ consists of computer and communication hardware and software, and the
skills of designers, programmers, technicians, and managers.
- A) Strategic capital
- B) Knowledge management
- C) Corporate knowledge
- D) Information technology
10) Standard Textile Company’s Chinese employees are not always comfortable
- A) taking the initiative.
- B) performing their jobs well.
- C) learning new techniques.
- D) All of the above
Unit 1 Examination 52 BAM 515 – Organizational Behavior
11) Psychologists have studied identical twins and have
- A) attempted to determine to what extent personality is inherited.
- B) been unable to determine what impact nature or nurture has on personality development.
- C) identified specific genes that are responsible for inherited personality.
- D) determined that the personalities of twins are impacted more by nature than are the personalities of non twins.
12) Individuals with an________ tend to believe that outside forces are largely responsible for their fate.
- A) extrasensory locus of control
- B) external locus of control
- C) interdepartmental locus of control
- D) internal locus of control
13) For top executives and managers, the ________ appears to dominate all other needs in determining their success.
- A) need for self-actualization
- B) need for affiliation
- C) need for power
- D) need for acceptance
14) ________ is the ability to physically manipulate objects in an environment.
- A) Prestidigitation
- B) Motor skill
- C) Physical skill
- D) Hands-on experience
15) ________ is determined by the genes we inherit from our parents and situational factors.
- A) Cognitive affluence
- B) Locus of control
- C) General intelligence
- D) All of the above
Unit 1 Examination 53 BAM 515 – Organizational Behavior
16) Examples of intrinsic work values include all of the following except
- A) wanting to learn new things.
- B) making important contributions.
- C) establishing social contacts.
- D) desiring to be challenged.
17) One’s personal convictions about what is right and wrong are
- A) moods.
- B) work attitudes.
- C) ethical values.
- D) legal values.
18) The cognitive component of a worker’s attitude is the
- A) employee’s feelings about his or her job or organization.
- B) employee’s thoughts about how to behave in his or her job or organization.
- C) employee’s beliefs about the job or organization.
- D) employee’s ethical stance.
19) ________ dictate appropriate and inappropriate feelings for a particular setting.
- A) Behavioral rules
- B) Expression rules
- C) Effective rules
- D) Feeling rules
20) Research has shown that the association between job satisfaction and job performance is
- A) not meaningful.
- B) stronger for men than for women.
- C) higher in unionized settings.
- D) decreasing due to the increasing number of baby-busters in the workforce.
21) Stereotypes can be dysfunctional and damaging to
- A) the target.
- B) the perceiver.
- C) the organization.
- D) All of the above
Unit 1 Examination 54 BAM 515 – Organizational Behavior
22) ________ is the process whereby people select, organize, and interpret the input from their senses to give meaning and order to the world around them.
- A) Ratiocination
- B) Perception
- C) Acknowledgment
- D) Understanding
23) The ________ is the context or environment surrounding the perceiver and the target.
- A) situation
- B) schema
- C) fountainhead
- D) epicenter
24) The ________ is the biased perception that results when the first pieces of information that people have about some target have an inordinately large influence on their perception of the target.
- A) person-situation effect
- B) primacy effect
- C) contrast effect
- D) halo effect
25) The most common external attributions relate to
- A) situation and timing.
- B) ability and personality.
- C) a level playing field.
- D) task difficulty and luck.