BIBL 121, NEW TESTAMENT GOSPELS
- List the New Testament books and arrange them in their canonical order.
- Short answer questions.
- a) The Jews were under the oppression of what major empire in the first century?
- b) The New Testament was written in what language?
- c) Jesus grew up in which district?
- d) Why were the Pharisees so zealous for the Law? Why did Jesus often oppose them?
- e) According to tradition, which gospels were written by apostles who had been with Jesus throughout his ministry?
- f) According to tradition, who was Mark and where did he get his information about Jesus?
- Write a short essay (nº of paragraphs defined in each question).
- a) Bart Ehrman claims that traditions about Jesus would have been altered between when Jesus died (AD 30) and when the Gospels were written (AD 60-100). How would you respond to this claim? ( 2 – 3 paragraphs).
- b) What is the “synoptic problem”? Which solution to the synoptic problem do you think is the best and why? (1 paragraph).
- Information about the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
- a) What are the main points they write in their Gospels? (describe briefly each for one of the authors).