Perceptions of the Legal Profession
People have widely differing views regarding lawyers and the legal system. Many people have a negative opinion of the legal system and the legal profession. Others have a very positive opinion of lawyers, and view them as heroes for the innocent and oppressed.
Part 1 – Negative Beliefs
There are several reasons why some people may have a negative opinion of lawyers, including the following:
- They often represent people involved in heated disputes.
- They are thought to complicate matters with their penchant for argumentation and turgid prose.
- They defend criminals and other unsavory clients.
- They sometimes use legal stratagems as they vigorously represent their clients to the best degree possible.
- When they represent people who have suffered personal injuries, they are seen as “ambulance chasers” or as vultures who greedily take advantage of their clients’ misfortune for their own personal gain.
Many lawyers work for corporations and other wealthy clients and are disliked for this reason by “have-nots.”
Select three of the reasons above. For each reason that you select, provide an example in society to illustrate the reasons. You will need to do some research to find examples. Support your three examples with at least three sources (one source for each example). After each example, include a summary of the impact that these negative beliefs have on the examples you provided and society as a whole. Each example should be at least three paragraphs in length.
Part 2 – Positive Beliefs
In 1-2 pages, describe one reason why lawyers are viewed positively in society. Provide an example to illustrate this reason.. You will need to do some research to find an example. Support your example with at least one source. With your example, include an analysis of the impact that the positive belief has on the example you provided and society as a whole.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria:
- Length should be 4 pages, excluding cover page and references.
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained.
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics.
- Appropriate citation style should be followed.
Submit the memo to the Unit 7 Dropbox by the end of Unit 7.