The Pew Center on Global Climate Change reported in September 2011 that the number of flood damages in the Northeast continues to rise. In Wilkes-Barre, PA, 75,000 people were evacuated as the Susquehanna River crested at a record of 42.7 feet. An estimated 5,400 homes and business suffered some sort of flood damage during that event, and 124 sewage treatment plants were affected by the flood, with 14 of them spilling raw sewage into waterways. Reports indicate that mold infestation, which can cause adverse health effects, is now a major concern among residents in Pennsylvania and New York. One organization, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, will be preparing a report for citizens in the affected areas on this issue. Write eight (8) page papers in which you:
- Formulate a plan on how you would use clinical epidemiology to guide your opinions and actions on dealing with this issue.
- Propose three (3) types of molds that could develop from flood damage and the associated health risks with each type of mold.
- Outline a plan to communicate key information to health practitioners who will most likely treat the symptoms of mold. Include a timeline when this outbreak can be expected.
- Compare three (3) methods that could be used to decrease mold or exposure to mold. Include the advantages and disadvantages of each method.
5.Formulate three (3) talking points the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection can use when addressing the concerns of the community on health risks associated with mold and what preventative measures can be taken avoid contracting this infection.
6.Suggest the type of study you would use to evaluate the long-term effects of mold exposure and the reasoning behind your selection.
7.Use at least four (4) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Assess the quality of care through community health planning and needs assessment tools.
- Define evidence-based management, cohorts and randomized clinical trials utilized in clinical epidemiology, and decision making.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in managerial epidemiology.
- Write clearly and concisely about managerial epidemiology using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills.