WRGT 393 Week 6 Discussion
A Technical Description for Elise
This discussion topic follows up on writing assignment #3, in which you wrote a recipe for your friend, Elise.
In this discussion topic, you will write a technical description for Elise of a device or a piece of equipment you referred to in your recipe. You will explain to Elise how the equipment or device works.
The following is the scenario for this task:
You sent your recipe to Elise e after she asked you for help. This is the recipe you wrote for writing assignment #3.
Elise has written you an email message back noting that she does not own one of the pieces of equipment that you mentioned in your recipe.
You will now recommend that Elise purchase this piece of equipment. In this assignment, you will describe the piece of equipment and what it does. Your description will “market” it for Elise in order to persuade her to purchase it.
The following are some examples:
• You sent Elise a recipe for making a particular soup. The recipe called for a vegetable blender. Elise has now sent you an email message stating that she does not own a vegetable blender. You will write a description of a particular vegetable blender that she should purchase.
• You sent Elise a recipe for making potato wedges. The recipe calls for a potato peeler. Elise has now sent you an email message stating that she does not own a potato peeler. You will write a description of a potato peeler that she should purchase.
• You sent Elise a recipe for preparing a meat dish. The recipe calls for a knife to cut the meat. Elise has now sent you an email message stating that she does not own this type of knife. You will write a description of the type of knife you are recommending that she purchase.
Keep in mind that you are describing a physical object in this assignment. You are not writing instructions on how to do something.
You can use graphics in either of the following ways:
• provide one main graphic and refer to parts in the graphic when writing your technical description
• provide several graphics, integrating each graphic as you write the various parts of the technical description
Your description should answer at least some the following questions:
• What is the device? How is it defined?
• What is the device made of?
• What does the device look like?
• What does the device do? How does the object do this?