Your company has taken a proactive approach to cybersecurity by ensuring that best practices are interwoven into all operational aspects of the corporation. This includes common issues encountered in hardware, software, operating systems, and networking design and implementation. You have been tasked with creating a training presentation on operating systems theory and concepts for new technology employees at your company. Reference “Introduction to Cybersecurity First Principles,” located in the topic Resources, and other online resources. Create a 10- to 12-slide presentation that addresses the following:
- Explain how employees will have a thorough understanding of operating systems theory and implementation, and how they will be able to understand operating system internals to the level that they could design and implement simple architectural changes to an existing OS.
- Describe the role and basic functions of an operating system, and how operating systems interact with hardware and software applications.
- Identify and describe basic security issues of operating systems.
- Describe the following terms and their potential security concerns:
- Privileged vs. nonprivileged states, and transitions between them (domain switching)
- Concurrency and synchronization (e.g., semaphores and locks)
- Application processes and threads, process/thread management, synchronization, inter-process communications
- Memory management, virtual memory, real memory, and hierarchical memory schemes
- Uni-processor and multi-processor interfaces and support
- CPU scheduling
- File systems
- Access controls (models and mechanisms)
- Creation and operation of virtualization technology
- Domain separation, process isolation, resource encapsulation, least privilege
- I/O issues (e.g., buffering, queuing, sharing, management)
- Distributed OS issues (client/server, message passing, remote procedure calls, clustering)
Additionally, include graphics that are relevant to the content, visually appealing, and placed appropriately.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.